The best wireless routers deliver a solid connection that can satisfy the growing network needs. The wireless routers are the most ideal solution for high speed and better connectivity.
They also bring some extra features which other routers don’t have, such as covering a large area, boosting connectivity for certain applications with no disruption of service.
So, you can easily rely on a network that holds multiple devices, forming a stable network.
- Quick Summary: Our Top 8 Picks
- Best Wireless Routers 2020
- 1. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6230)- Best for Fast Streaming
- 2. TP-Link (Archer A7) WiFi Router- Best for Gaming
- 3. NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router (R6700)- Best for Large Homes
- 4. TP-Link (Archer A6) Smart WiFi Router- Best Budget Wireless Router
- 5. ASUS (RT-AC88U) WiFi Gaming Router- The Gamer’s Choice
- 6. Linksys Mesh (MR8300)WiFi Router- Best for Smart Home Devices
- 7. D-Link (DIR-3040-US)WiFi Router – Best Range Wireless Router
- 8. ASUS (RT-AC86U) WiFi Dual-band Router- Best for Network Security
- Guide to Buying the Best Wireless Router
- What is Wireless Technology?
- What are Wireless Routers Used For?
- What is the Difference between Dual-Band and Tri-Band Router?
- How to choose a wireless router? 11 things to consider!
Quick Summary: Our Top 8 Picks
No. of Wired LAN Ports
No. of Antennas
No. of Bands
No. of Devices Attached
NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6230)
Dual Band, Advanced QoS
TP-Link (Archer A7) WiFi Router
2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 5 GHz Radio Frequency
NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router (R6700)
Dual Band, Beamforming+
802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.11ac
ASUS (RT-AC88U) WiFi Gaming Router
Linksys Mesh (MR8300) WiFi Router
2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 5 GHz Radio Frequency
Tri-Band 2.2 Gbps
ASUS (RT-AC86U) WiFi Dual-band Router
Best Wireless Routers 2020
1. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6230)- Best for Fast Streaming
The NETGEAR R6230 is the Smart Wifi router with dual-band Giga-bit Technology. This router provides 300+900Mbps speeds and improved Wi-Fi coverage up to 1200 sq ft coverage.
In this review, we will go into every aspect of this router and find out whether it’s worth your money.
The NETGEAR R6230 WiFi router has an impressive list of features.
- The R6230 model uses Dual Band, Advanced QoS technology.
- It has 2 external antennas for improved Wi-Fi coverage for larger homes.
- With this router, your network has protected with WPA2, Guest Access, DoS, Firewall network security protocols to own your private network.
- It includes an 880 MHz processor for reliable performance.
- It provides a Data transfer rate of 900 Mb per second.
- It provides seamless wifi for up to 20 devices.
- The 1 x 2.0 USB port provides wireless access and sharing of printer or storage drive.
- It has 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports to plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other wired devices.
It is 5- minute easy setup with app. First, connect the modem to the Internet port of the router with the Ethernet cable. Next, connect the power adapter to the router.
Now use a web browser to access the router to view or change the settings. When you access the router, the software automatically checks to see if the router can connect to your Internet service provider or not.
The browser automatically displays the router’s web page. By using the NETGEAR app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network.
2. TP-Link (Archer A7) WiFi Router- Best for Gaming
The TP-Link (Archer A7) AC 1750 smart wifi router is a dual-band gigabit router. It works with 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 5 GHz Radio Frequency and best works with Alexa and is the best wifi router for gaming.
This router provides high speed and full coverage up to 2500 sq.ft. In this review, we will check every aspect of this router to find out whether it is worth spending money on it or not.
The TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router is compatible with all wi-fi devices.
With its dimensions of 9.59 x 6.32 x 1.29 inches, it is not small enough along with a weight of 2.05 pounds.
Some of interesting features of TP-Link (Archer A7) AC 1750 are given below:
- This Dual-band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high-speed internet with reducing buffer time.
- It is ideal for 4K streaming videos.
- It includes 3 external antennas for a long coverage area.
- It is an ideal wi-fi router for gaming.
- It is able to connect with up to 50+ devices.
- It also includes 4 gigabit LAN ports for fast access to multiple connected wired devices.
- This wi-fi router also provides parental control & QoS.
- It gives data transfer speed up to 1750.0 Mb per second.
For installation of this device, you can use two methods.
First method is to connect the wi-fi router by using an ethernet cable/connection to the modem. This method is little bit tacky.
The second method is easy by using a TP-Link Tether app. This app helps you remotely manage your router from any android or IOS device.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router (R6700)- Best for Large Homes
If you need a wireless router which covers your entire home than NETGEAR Nighthawk (R6700) smart wi-fi router is the best option for you.
It uses a dual-band, range boosting beamforming + antennas that gives 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed.
That is why it is the best wi-fi router for large homes. Read the full review, to check every aspect of this router. It has built-in Netgear Armor security software that provides multi-layer security.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700 smart wifi router provides you fast streaming, reliable wifi to every corner of your home.
If we talk about design than its weight is 1.58 lbs with 11.22 x 7.20 x 2.44 inches dimensions. Thus, it is durable and material quality is good.
This router has lots of attractive features, which surely change your mind to buy only this beast.
- It provides a data transfer rate with 1300 Mb per second.
- It gives Up to 1750Mbps wireless speed for D streaming and online gaming.
- It provides seamless wifi to up to 25+ devices.
- It provides a smart parental control app named Circle App that lets you easily manage internet content access and device screen time.
- It has 4 x 1-gigabit ethernet ports to plug in computers, game consoles, other nearby wired devices.
- It has designed with a 1GHz dual-core processor and 3 amplified antennas.
- It supports WPA2 wireless security protocols which include guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
- It also works with Alexa.
- The additional features of this router are Personal Cloud Storage, VPN, Guest WiFi Secure Access.
For installation of this device you can opt two methods.
First, Connect the router to the PC and internet service than you need to visit www.routerlogin.net to access the Setup Wizard which will guide you through the rest of the installation process.
Second, you can use the Nighthawk App which helps you to set up the router. Just connect your internet Ethernet cable to the router and the app will walk you through simple setup steps. Connect other devices to the network and you’re done.
4. TP-Link (Archer A6) Smart WiFi Router- Best Budget Wireless Router
TP-Link (Archer A6) AC1200 is a smart WiFi router with 5GHz Gigabit Dual Band MU-MIMO Wireless technology. It is awarded JD Power Award in 2016 and 2019 of highest in the customer satisfaction category.
By using MU-MIMO wireless technology, it allows high speeds for multiple devices simultaneously. That is why it is called the best budget wireless router.
Let’s start with the review, to check its every aspect which makes it the best budget router among all.
The Archer A6 Model of TP-Link is light in weight. It’s weight is 1.7 pounds and dimensions are 9.05 x 5.68 x 1.45 inches. It is the best router which is light in weight and best budgeted.
With four external antennas and one internal antenna along with powerful chipset, you can full wifi coverage throughout your home whether you are relaxing in the lounge area or in the balcony of your home.
Some of the impresssive features of TP-link Archer A6 router are as follows:
- It has 4 Gigabit LAN ports that allow you to directly connect your wired devices such as gaming consoles, smart TV, Desktop, and more.
- It creates reliable and blazing fast network by 802.11ac, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n technology.
- The 2.4 GHz band delivers speeds up to 300 Mbps for faster email and web browsing.
- The 5 GHz band delivers speeds up to 867 Mbps for lag-free online gaming and 4K video streaming.
- Archer A6 serves multiple devices simultaneously.
- It uses advanced WPA2 encryption which protects the wifi from malware and hackers.
- It eliminates WiFi dead zones to provide you consistent and stable WiFi throughout the home.
- It provides 1200 Mb per second data transfer speed.
For installation of Archer A6, you can use the free Tether app which is available for both Android and iOS devices.
It makes it easy to set up the Archer A6 router and manage your network settings.
5. ASUS (RT-AC88U) WiFi Gaming Router- The Gamer’s Choice
The ASUS company is famous for making the laptops for gaming as well as top of the line routers. The device we are talking about is ASUS-RT-AC88U (AC3100) dual-band gigabit wifi router. This router costs under $250 with a sleek and stylish look.
It has 1024 Qam technology that is 80 percent faster 5 GigaHertz gives the speed up to 2100 Mbps and 66 percent faster 2. 4 GigaHertz with speed up to 1000 Mbps. That is why it is the best router for gamers.
Let’s take a look at review, to check it amazing features, design and all.
This model of ASUS-RT-AC88U is a bit heavy around 2.60lbs in weight and made with good plastic material. The dimensions of this router are 11. 8 x 7. 4 x 3. 3 inches, so it takes more space.
It connects automatically by choosing the best band available for you and provide you fast streaming network.
The ASUS-AC3100 is the best choice for game lovers and it is a full package of amazing features which never let you down with its ultimate performance. Let’s take a look.
- It has 8 gigabit LAN ports to connect up to eight Ethernet compatible devices simultaneously.
- It has a powerful 1. 4 GHz dual-core processor with faster USB to enjoy up to 100 MB/s data transfer speed and up to 1. 8 Gaps download and upload speed.
- It uses NitroQAM technology to enjoy smooth streaming and low-latency online gaming.
- It has MU-MIMO technology which connects multiple devices at the same time without slowing down the network.
- It uses Adaptive QoS, which allows you to easily prioritize gaming packets and activities.
- ASUS has AiProtection powered by Trend Micro which improves online safety and security.
- It provides wifi speed up to 3100 Mbps.
- It uses the latest 802.11ax technology.
The installation of this router is very simple. You can use ASUS Router App & ASUSWRT which is compatible or both Android & IOs devices.
The user interface is very robust which allows you to set up the router, manage its network traffic settings.
It also helps to diagnose if there are connection issues as well as you can easily update firmware without needing to boot up the desktop.
6. Linksys Mesh (MR8300)WiFi Router- Best for Smart Home Devices
If you are looking for a wifi router that manages all the smart home devices together than Linksys Mesh (MR8300) tri-band wifi router with AC2200 speed is best for you.
It is perfect for household devices as this tri-band delivers superior speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps throughout your home. That’s why it is the best choice for smart home devices.
Let’s start with the review, to check its every aspect, features and all.
This model of Linksys is very portable with dimensions of 7.30 x 10.10 x 6.30 inches and it is light in weight only 1.59 lbs.
With 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, the MR8300 supports wired connections up to 10x faster than standard Ethernet and allows to easily connect shared storage devices, printers, and other supported peripherals of home to the network.
The MR8300 of linksys is a full package of features that are really going to impress you. Here’s take a look.
- The MR8300 delivers a dedicated signal to each connected device using MU-MIMO technology.
- This router is designed to scale to your household’s WiFi needs, just add a Linksys Velop node to expand your coverage.
- It handles 20+ devices at once.
- It gives Up to 2,000 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage.
- It provides Tri band WiFi speeds up to 2.2 Gbps (5 GHz / 400 Mbps) + (5 GHz / 867 Mbps) + (2.4 GHz / 867 Mbps).
- It is equipped with 4 external antennas.
- It also provides guest networks, parental control, and device prioritization services.
- It works on 5 GHz Radio Frequency, 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency communication standards.
For the installation of this router either you can do it manually or by using the Linksys app. With the help of the app, it is very easy to connect the router.
First, connect the router with the modem, then downloading the Linksys app. Secondly, add the name of the network so that others can recognize your network easily.
Then, choose the password to protect your network. Note that your password should be tricky so that no one can easily crack it.
7. D-Link (DIR-3040-US)WiFi Router – Best Range Wireless Router
The next up on our list is one of the top tier wireless routers from D-Link with the most stylish look and ultra-fast speed. The D-Link (DIR-3040-US) is the high-power Tri-band mesh smart router with the AC3000 speed, which makes it the best range wireless router.
The DIR-3040-US is a fantastic router regarding speed and functionality. Let’s find out how this router fairs in things that matter.
This high- power router is embedded with dual-core processor which boosts multitasking computing power and improves throughput speeds for all the applications.
It is a compact and portable wifi router with dimensions of 7.80 x 8.50 x 2.00 inches and a weight of 1.50 lbs.
The D-Link (DIR-3040-US) mesh router is a full package with lots of amazing features which makes it best.
- It has Tri-Band Wi-Fi technology with 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2 speed.
- It is embedded with Smart Mesh & MU-MIMO technology for ultra-fast WiFi speeds.
- It connects up to 4 wired devices and enjoys HD streaming and gaming without buffering.
- It is integrated with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa for convenient voice control.
- It has 6 external antennas.
- It has two USB ports: 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0.
- It comes with an enhanced profile based Parental Controls.
Its installation process is very simple and easily managed by the user. The user needs to install the D-Link Wifi App to connect the router. This app is available on google play as well as on the app store.
The user interface of the app is very intuitive and has step by step instructions for new users.
The user just needs to connect the router to the modem, download the D-Link Wifi App, type the name network and set the password.
8. ASUS (RT-AC86U) WiFi Dual-band Router- Best for Network Security
This ASUS (RT-AC86U) WiFi Dual-band gigabit router comes with the latest 802. 11AC technology. It provides dual-band (2. 4 + 5 GHz) AC2900 wireless speed suitable for large homes.
The ASUS RT-AC86U incorporates with AiProtection network security system. With this, all connected devices are protected, even if they have no antivirus capability of their own e.g IoT devices. That is why it is the best wifi router for network security.
Let’s check the review of ASUS RT-AC86U and see is it worth to buy or not?
The ASUS wifi router is a bit heavy as made with high-quality plastic and its weight is up to 2.00 lbs.
It has a 1. 8GHz 32bit dual-core processor which optimizes network traffic and connectivity speed.
It has four Gigabit LAN ports and two USB ports. In this router, you will get dedicated ports for Smart TV, game consoles, NAS storage devices which makes RT-AC86U your digital home hub.
This smart wifi device has amazing features which makes it favorite of everyone. Let’s take a look.
- It uses MU-MIMO technology and provides data transfer speeds up to 2900 Mbps.
- It has designed for lag-free online gaming and flawless 4K UHD streaming with WTFast game Accelerator and Adaptive QoS.
- It is suitable for very large homes.
- It works with Amazon Alexa.
- It has built-in Ai protection powered by Trend Micro that provides 24/7 protection from external attacks and threats.
- It has 3 external antennas.
- It provides guest network and parental control services.
For the installation of this router, you need to install ASUS Router App which is built-in and robust, all without needing to boot up a PC. This ASUS app is available on the android play store and ios app store.
The RT-AC86U also features the enhanced, intuitive ASUSWRT user interface, which is simple and easy to understand and gives you easy access to 3-step web-based installation process along with advanced options.
Guide to Buying the Best Wireless Router
With COVID-19, So many people are working from home, the wifi router you have is helping a lot more in case of work, streaming movies, playing games, and more.
So, choosing the right wifi router for your home that comes in your budget also is not an easy task.
When choosing a new router, you should consider the size of your coverage area and the number of clients, as well as the types of devices that will connect to the router.
So, before we begin let’s understand few things first.
What is Wireless Technology?
The technology which provides the communication between the two or more entities over a distance without the use of any wires or cables are known as wireless technology.
The communication held between two by using radio frequency as well as infrared waves.
What are Wireless Routers Used For?
The wireless routers are commonly used in homes to connect smart home devices. They are hardware devices that the ISP or internet service provider used to connect the router to their cable or DSL.
A wireless router is also known as WI-FI router as it combines the functions of a wireless access point and a router.
What is the Difference between Dual-Band and Tri-Band Router?
The WI-FI signals travels through radio bands that act likes invisible lanes from one device to another. Each band works like a different lane or route, which keeps data on separate route to avoid congestion.
Dual-Band means dual-route, has one 2.4 Ghz (up to 600 Mbps speed) and one 5 GHz (up to 1.3 Gbps speed) channel to support simultaneous users without lag or buffering.
Tri-Band means a three-lane highway, that has one 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz channels for separate devices to increase speed and avoid congestion.
How to choose a wireless router? 11 things to consider!
There are some important things to consider while choosing a router. They are as under:
- The router you are going to buy should have a multi-core processor and at least 128MB of RAM.
- The router that you choose should be dual-band or more as it can give better network connectivity.
- Verify online the Actual speed of the router; read the user reviews. It can help to choose the top quality and fast running wifi router.
- Your router should have smartphone apps; so that people can use to set the router on their own.
- The router should have a USB port, preferably USB 3.0.
- The router should have Advanced QoS settings.
- The router should support Mesh wifi systems.
- The router should have parental control settings.
- Your router should have VPN, antivirus, firewall, and other advanced features to protect the Wi-Fi network from malware and outside attacks.
- You must purchase the router with standard 802.11ac.
- The router must have a bandwidth of at least AC1200. Any router lower than this bandwidth is not updated.
Considering these factors will help you to stay away from old and outdated routers. If you are the beginner and want a smart router for faster Wi-Fi connection, pay attention to these things.